Friday, January 2, 2009

Math Is A Wonderful Thing

Knowing myself, I wouldn't even have thought twice about posting a blog about MATH but TADA! Here I am discussing about the topic I chose:

Ratio and Proportion.


Here I go....
*cue horror music*
(JUST KIDDING, SIR JERR!)


What is a Ratio?

- A "ratio" is a comparison of two numbers.
- We must separate the ratio with either a colon(:) or write it down as a fraction.


Example

*7 males to 3 females

you write that as, 7:3 or 7/3


How do you compare Ratios?

- To compare ratios, write them as fractions. The ratios are equal if they are equal when written as fractions.


What is Proportion?

- A proportion is an equation with a ratio on each side. It is a statement that two ratios are equal.

Examples of Proportions

2:4 = 4:2

5:10 = 10:15

Remember: When one of the four numbers in a proportion is unknown, cross products may be used to find the unknown number. This is called solving the proportion. Question marks or variables are frequently used in place of the unknown number.

Example On How To Solve a Proportion

9/12 = x/16

* you have to cross multiply for you to get the answer.

= 9.16 and 12.x = 12x =144

= you divide each side by 12.

= resulting in x = 12.



WATCH ME!!!!!





2 comments:

Terfeery said...

oooooh... scary

paulaalcoseba said...

i know.
i have nightmares now. :-/